Friday, January 28, 2011

Projects This Week - A Little Bit of Everything

The sewing room is never quiet for long, and I've managed to squeak out a few fun things this week.

Here's a cute banner I made from Nancy Halvorsen's Count On It book. Saturday, January 29 is our annual customer appreciation party to celebrate all of our wonderful customers and to mark our 4th shop anniversary (my how time flies!). I thought this banner would be the perfect welcome as you enter the shop. Everyone who walks through the door on this special day will receive a gift. It might be a fat quarter, a book, a pattern, or a number of other goodies. Stop by if you can.


Our mannequins have been hiding in the back of the shop, patiently waiting for something new to wear. One of them finally came out of hiding this week. This is Kaffe Fassett fabric and Amy Butler's Mini-Dress pattern. I thought this would be a garment suited to the younger set, but once I finished it, I think it's perfect for all ages. The big pleat in the front does a great job of masking the less than perfect figure, and it can be made in several lengths. It can be a shirt, a tunic, or a dress. This one is tunic length.


The last thing I worked on is a pair of pillowcases for my younger boys. This was their payment for helping me at the shop over the winter holidays. They each selected their own fabric and I promised to have them done in January. One thing that has always been a problem for me with these pillowcases is that when they are washed, the trim tends to flip up or wad. This time, I remembered to stitch the trim down so it wouldn't do that. The fun thing is that I remembered that I had some glow in the dark thread from Superior Threads. Yep, I top stitched the trim with it. It is very cool. Each pillowcase has a pin stripe of glow in the dark awesomeness when the boys get tucked in to bed.

The thread is white in the daylight so that sort of limits its applications. If it were clear, I'd be using it all over the place.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks so much for sharing with me.