Saturday, January 1, 2011

A Favorite Tool - The Angler

I've been working on lots of shop samples over the past couple of weeks. We like to freshen up with a blast of new samples when the shop opens for the new year. My most recent is an adorable quilt using Amy Butler's Soul Blossom collection. The pattern is from Alex Anderson's Baby Quilt book and is a great pattern for showing off a large scale print. The finished top is 39.5" x 39.5".
I am not a fan of drawing diagonal lines on the back of fabric squares for accurate half square triangles or flying geese. It just takes up too much time for me. Last year, Pam Bono visited and taught at our shop. She is an awesome pattern designer, especially patterns with detailed piecing. Her husband, Robert, developed a tool called the Angler to help make more accurate 45 degree seams without the extra steps of drawing lines on your fabric pieces. I love this tool and use it everytime I make half square triangles or flying geese. Here it is attached to my machine:
It is really easy to set up on your machine, and a little masking tape holds it in place. The angled lines are used to keep your fabric correctly positioned, and once the bottom point of your square approaches the needle, it can be lined up on the center line. Here is one of my flying geese in progress:
I'm not one to grab up every new tool out there, but when I find one that works for me, I'm hooked. We carry the Angler at our shop, and I'm sure you can find it at your local shop, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks so much for sharing with me.