Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Boys Grow Up

Believe it or not, I'm not always working at the shop or sewing. This week, I helped our youngest two boys clean out their closet and rearrange their room. The holidays brought a few new toys into our lives and it was time to clean out some of the old. They were also ready to outgrow their bunk beds and have a more big kid room. Here's what it was like before the move:

We had to work hard to pare down the collection of toys, but there were many things they had grown out of. We'll be contacting some of our friends with younger kids to see if they want to share the love with us, and what's left will be donated to Good Will. We decided that yard sale weather was just a little too far away. After cleaning out the closet and moving things from the room into the closet, we converted the bunk beds to twin beds. There's still some wall repair and painting to be done, and more art work is needed for the walls. The boys love the result, and so do I.

They each got a new quilt from me for Christmas. The pattern is adapted from one I saw in a recent issue of Quilts and More magazine. I changed the measurements to more efficiently use my stash of Kaffe Fassett fabrics as well as to be a good fit for their twin beds. We sorted the scraps into color families, then each of my guys picked the ones they wanted used in their quilts. One chose reds and yellows and the other chose blues, browns, and golds. I like the same, but different look.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks so much for sharing with me.