Saturday, June 4, 2011

Simply Squares Pattern

I've been thinking a lot about customers who come into the shop and find a fabric they love but don't have a project in mind. For those who always make big quilts, two or three yards seems to be the right amount. Others tend to make more smaller projects. That's who I've been thinking about lately. With so many of us pinching our pennies, less is more. With that in mind, I'm developing designs that can be completed with half a yard or less of each fabric. Here is my latest design, Simply Squares. It is perfect for newer quilters because it is very straight forward. It's also good for those with some experience. It is a fast project to make and also includes instructions for mitered borders. The quilt top finishes at 36" square and requires a half yard or less of five different fabrics.

I was playing around with the design a bit to see how it would work as a big quilt. Here's what happens if you make four of the quilt centers and rotate them to make a symmetrical design.



A bigger size like this would need more substantial borders than the smaller version. If you added six inches to each side in borders, this quilt would measure 68" square. You would need two yards each of the three fabrics for the blocks, a half yard for the inner border, and 1-1/4 yards for an outer border. I like that it's possible to make both a small quilt and a big quilt from the same pattern.

This pattern is available at the shop and in the Etsy store. I'll also be teaching it as a class on Saturday, June 25 or Tuesday, June 28 at 9:00am.

1 comment:

  1. Smaller project is what I had been considering since I am in a smaller apartment. I just didn't think I could do a full size quilt. Thanks for coming up with this idea! I've signed up for the 6/25 class and can't wait to see you all!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks so much for sharing with me.