Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cultural Arts Night

Hello all. Long time no blog. It's been a little busy, which means there are lots of things to blog about, just not much time to get it written down. Last night I had the pleasure of exhibiting at Oconee County Elementary School's Cultural Arts Night. My job was to show things quilty and answer questions for anyone interested in the art of quilting. It was a great event and full of fun activities for the kiddos.

Don't you love the artwork on the wall behind me? Makes me want to make a quilt with kid art all over it.

What I was trying to show with my display was how quilting has changed over the years. I had old quilts from my grandmother, some quilt magazines from the early 1980s, cardboard templates and scissors. On the opposite side of the table, I had my rotary cutter, ruler, and mat. There were current quilting magazines and books. I also had some smaller projects to show that you can do so much more than make a big quilt. There were quilts draped on chairs all around my table.

At the entrance to our room, there was a big sign that said "Quilting Demonstration". Throughout the event, I worked on hand sewing the binding to a quilt. Not much of a demonstration, but hey, it was the best I could do.


I was fortunate to share the room with Jennifer Heynen, who was doing bead and button making demonstrations. She is also the designer of the fabric in the quilt I am binding. Beautiful.

There were music demonstrations, physical education activities, student art displays, and an instrument petting zoo where the kids could try out all sorts of musical instruments. All during the evening, I kept thinking my phone was vibrating. It wasn't until the end of the night that I realized it was the low horns being tried out by the kids that I was hearing!

Even though this isn't the school my kids attend, they went with me as assistants. At the end of the evening, they were ready to sell our house and move so they could attend this school. I'd say that is a sign of a successful event.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks so much for sharing with me.